Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Sarah Geer McIntyre: The Courage to Carry On, Part 4

 

Continued from May 20, 2021. . .

At the time Sarah sent the Christmas box, her cooking at the Palmer Inn was locally famous. She had also opened her home and her table to many traveling Church of God evangelists preaching in the area, including A. G. Long and M. P. Rimmer (part 2, May 13). Like nameless widows in the Old Testament who fed the prophets, Sarah fed these preachers from Allie’s vegetable garden and from hogs they raised. . . . In this humble way, she helped to establish a Church of God congregation in the area.1 By 1909, construction of a church building had begun. The same year, she and Allie purchased a house2 in an area of Allison Gap called The Pines.

 

A letter from Sarah illuminates Allie’s importance to the family. Written in pencil, the letter contains no punctuation, and capitalization is random. The letter is not dated, but one might infer that the year falls between 1911 and 1916 because Sarah states that Martie and Gould, her son and stepson, “are working.” During those years, Martie would have been between 13 and 18, old enough to hold a job. Having served four years in the United States Navy, Gould had returned some time after 1910.3 He left the area around 1916 and moved to Hopewell, Virginia. The visitor “fannie” is most likely Fannie (Rumbley) Allison, Allie’s sister. Lily Conkan and Mrs. Keith are neighbors. Nicknamed “Hize,” Allie was staying at an unknown location at this time.

August the 26

Saltville Va

 

Dear Allie,

i have just received your letter  . . .  glad to hear all is well  We are . . . getting a long all rite  Martie and Gould is working. . . . they both wonder when hize will com home  Martie said last night Mama I have almost forgot how hize looks  he said i want to see her so bad i had to cry  Allie he is the best thing to me on earth  Gould has got all that pine wood cut up and in the wood house and has engaged 6 moose wagon loads  Gould is so good to. . . . he wants me to hire someone to stay until you come back  well Allie the cow is all rite  She give about 2 gallons at a milking  We give the calf half of the milk  The hogs is growing rite a long  fannie  was down here yesterday . . . and stayed all eaving with me for i was so lonesome  for God sakes hurry and come home  well me and lily Conkan is coming over this next Thursday if nothing happens  Cant you meet us at the train  now i will tell you how i got disapointed yesterday  i thought by me not getting word a Saturday you . . . would be here yesterday . . . so i thought i heard a hack coming at 10 oclock  I run to see and when i found that I was mistaken i just took me a good old fashion cry  fannie laugh at me harty but i could tell she was hurt to  Well Allie are you coming before I come over there or not 

 

i got Mrs. Keith to do the work for me to come. . . . i will come on the first train if nothing happens  Martie wants you to have him some ripe pears  Well I will close for this time into soon  it is raining hard  love to all

Sarah McIntyre

 

Sarah’s letter spills over with affection, not just for Martie and Allie, but also for Gould. Obviously, Allie is an important and loved member of the family. The references to the wood-cutting, the cow, the milking, and the hogs also offer a glimpse into the life of the family.

           

On 11 February 1913, Sarah’s father, William E. Geer, died in Wisconsin. Two months later, her stepmother, Julia, wrote these letters in pencil:

Maiden Rock Wis April 22 [1913]

 

Dear daughter  it is Such a lonesome day thought I would write you a few lines  I was So Sorry to hear you were Sick  hope you are better now. . . .  I have been So lame  I feel some better to day  I guess I worked to hard  I cleaned house and I have had . . . big washings  Sickness makes lots of work  my but I do miss him . . . .  it is So lonesome but I Stay alone I don’t feel contented any where else  I am So glad I have my home  I have been to the grave yard twice I was up last Sunday and put flowers on the grave  I feel So much better when I can go and look at his grave. . . .  it does Seem Sometimes as if he will come back but he never will. I See So many things to remind me of him but it has to be and I must make the best of it  God knows what is best for us  I think of it every day he don’t have to live and Suffer  I think he is at rest.

 

I have not got any pension yet. . . .  I wish I could for I need it So bad  I have not got my debts paid yet  wish you would write and tell me when your Birthday is and how old you are  I don’t want you to try to do any thing if you are not able. . . .  wish I lived where I could help you when you are sick. . . .

 

Well I . . . will write more next time  Tell uncle Tom4  I have not forgotten him and Aunt Hannah5 and Martie how I do wish I could See you all  write Soon

Love to all from your

Mother Julia Geer.

 

 

Maiden Rock Wis April 26 [1913]

Dear daughter

Received your letter . . . this morning I appreciated your kindness  when I get my pension I will try to remember you  Tell Martie I wont forget him he is a good boy, I am afraid you rob yourself  you have to work hard  one of those papers you will have to send back  I want you to let me know what it costs and I will pay it  I think what you send me will help me more than anything  I was married to your father in April 25th 1868 and your father died Feb 11 1913. . . .  Sarah don’t try to send a box  You have to work so hard and you don’t feel well  I want to send a box after a little  I have some things I want to send uncle Tom & want to send the watch to Martie. . . .  Your father said he wanted him to have it and he shall  I am going to close

write soon

love to all

your Mother

Julia Geer

 

Julia’s affection toward a “daughter” she had never met is heartwarming. It seems that Sarah endeared herself to her stepmother through acts of kindness alluded to in Julia’s letter.

           

About that time, Sarah’s stepson Gould wrote this letter to Sarah revealing some difficulties the family was facing:

Bluefield W. Va.

204 Reese St.

April 11th 1913

 

Dear Mama:--

just a few lines to let you know that I am well. hoping that this will find you all

the Same. well Mama work is very dull out here  . . . but I think that it will get better in a few days. if not I am going to leave this place about pay day which is on the 24th. I marked up for duty last Monday and have just made one run which didn’t make me but three dollars. . . . if I should take a notion to leave this place I have been thinking of sending my trunk home so don’t be a bit surprised if you see it coming in  by the way Mama I wish that you would look in the vase on the dresser and get the letter that Rush6 gave me to bring to Bluefield and send it to me. if you can’t find it have Rush to write another one. . . . tell Me how is Lizzie and the children getting along. if they . . . need of anything let me know at once. I am going to send you a little Money Pay day and I want you to pay five dollars to uncle Jim7 for rent for if I send it to Lizzie she might keep it and then aunt Emma would think that I was trying to beat them out of the rent  tell me if they have repaired the house yet? now I am going to do all that I can to help Lizzie. but if that dirty tramp comes back and she lives with him I will never help her again. and futhermore they will have to get out from there. for I think that you have been imposed on a little to much. . . . I am going to send you some money for your troubles for you have been awfull good to Me and I am not the kind of a man to forget. tell Hise to give the little cow 8 some sugar. ha. give Mart a wallop for me. with love to all

                                                                        Your loveing Son

                                                                                    Gould McIntyre

 

Gould’s letter exudes his protective feelings for Sarah and for his sister Lizzie. The “dirty tramp” mentioned in the letter was Lizzie’s husband, John Chapman, who apparently had deserted Lizzie at this time.

 

Some time later, John Chapman returned to Lizzie and together they moved to Dante, Virginia, where he likely worked in a coal mine. Whether their move had anything to do with Gould’s threat is unknown. A postcard addressed to “Mrs. John Chapman, Dante, Va.” reveals the tension Sarah felt over Lizzie’s situation: “March 4, 1914 Dear lizzie What is wrong with you that you don’t write Mama is awful worried about you all please write and let us know if Gladas is with you all don’t foget to write at once.”

 

Fifteen months later, another blow to Sarah’s life came when Lizzie died in childbirth on June 13, 1915 at age 25. The child died also. Caring for two small daughters became too much for John Chapman. He soon left them in the care of Sarah McIntyre and Allie Rumbley. Once again, Sarah became the caretaker of motherless children.

 

Home of Sarah McIntyre and Allie Rumbley in the Pines, Allison Gap. L to r. Lizzie, Allie, Aunt Hannah, Martie, and Sarah, about 1903.


 

The early Allison Gap Church of God congregation met in the home of Allie Rumbley and Sarah McIntyre (pictured with Martie at right in front) until a building was erected a the entrance road to Cardwell Town. Later a larger church was built at the crossroads to Lickskillet, "down the Valley and up the Valley." And even later, a new church was built "up the Valley."

L. to r.: Rush Taylor, a friend, and Gould McIntyre, c. 1905.

L. to r.: Sallie Cardwell and Lizzie McIntyre, c. 1905. Sallie was probably a cousin of Lizzie's.




1 The Tie That Binds, p. 4.

2 Smyth County Deed Book 35, p. 238.

3 1910 United States Census, Camp Gregg, Pangasinan, Philippines, Military and Naval Forces; Roll: T624_1784; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 40; Image: 20, Ancestry.com. In this census, Gould is listed with a group of men serving in the Pholippines. A story about Gould’s return from the Navy as it was passed down through the family might be of interest here. When Gould came home, he found his young half-brother Martie being spoiled by the two women raising him and being picked on by bullies at school. He decided Martie needed to become a man and learn to defend himself, so he taught him some boxing moves and even gave him brass knuckles. Gould told Martie to take care of those bullies, which Martie promptly did.

4 William Geer’s brother, Thomas Geer.

5 Hannah Moore Allison, sister to Margaret Moore Geer, Sarah’s mother.

6 Possibly, Rush Taylor, a friend and mentor of Gould's.

7 Uncle Jim and Aunt Emma were James Stanfield and his wife Emmaline McIntyre Stanfield, a sister of Martin McIntyre, Sarah’s deceased husband. They lived above Plasterco west of Saltville in Washington County.

8 According to Lois McIntyre Troutman, granddaughter of Sarah McIntyre, the “little cow” is a reference to Lizzie’s baby Lorene, who was a big child.

1 comment: